Monday, May 24, 2010

Copper Shingles in the Bay Area



Every now and then a project comes along that is so much fun, it's just not like working. This is one of them. The client needed a new roof to replace their 20-year-old wood shingles and wanted something attractive, permanent, lightweight and eco-friendly. After considering a number of the "fake" slates, shingles and other synthetic lightweight entries, they decided that the pictures in the brochures were much nicer than the materials up close, and they didn't want to install something "artificial" on their English Country Estate style home. Coming across our website they decided to investigate metal, and it wasn't long before I was showing them some of my favorite copper profiles.

I was excited to participate in a project like this because an interesting home with a steep roof is always the most desirable canvas for displaying a roof product, and I was so anxious to find such a canvas for a pre-patinated copper product. And now here was the ideal opportunity to show off my creative side! I had the idea in my head for years after a client had sent
me a picture with a similar notion and wanted to know if I could emulate a "distressed" copper roof. That one never happened, but here was the perfect opportunity. My excitement grew when this client decided to go with the copper and loved the idea of the mosaic effect of accelerating the "aging" of the copper before they were installed. As he explained to me, the English Country Manor look was famous for a style of home that might be added to as generations moved in and out of the family estate. That the copper might look slightly different from section to section would play perfectly into this feature of the style. And so we've begun.

I couldn't be more excited about the progress, and will be adding new pics as each section is completed. For more information about this material, visit our site.

No comments: